The Slovenian has triumphed at the top of the Peyragudes plateau, where he has taken four small seconds off Jonas Vingegaard, more yellow than ever.
Tadej Pogacar winner. But not by knockout. Arrived closely followed by the yellow jersey Jonas Vingegaard in the terrible last percentages (17%) of the high plateau of Peyragudes, the Slovenian ended up triumphing in front just in front of the Dane, who finally lost only four seconds confirming his condition of favorite of the Round. Well launched by his teammate Brandon McNulty, chosen fighter of the day, the outgoing double winner failed to place a decisive attack in this first big stretch of the Pyrenees.
Winner at Peyragudes Highland in 2017, Romain Bardet, a time in the match with the leaders, cracked the final promotion. With great difficulty on Tuesday, the Auvergne, however, on Wednesday tried their luck and will have imagined signing a great shot.
Chronological leader of the stage at the head, Thibaut Pinot has broken it in the last two climbs, after having worked especially for its leader David Gaudu, who saved the break accompanied by Nairo Quintana. Both with less advantage than on Tuesday at the Mur de Péguère, the two men ceded 1’26 ” to Geraint Thomas, who thus consolidates his place on the podium (3rd). In a last effort, the Breton still took six seconds off the Colombian.
The fact of the day
The great operation of Romain Bardet, the burst of pride of Pogacar, the unbeatable Vingegaard … These are the main points to remember of this completely crazy stage. After 129.5 kilometers of high mountain and four ascents in less than 70 kilometers, Tadej Pogacar may not have been the strongest but he will have managed one last masterful blow to come and raise his arms to the top of Peyragudes. His team has maneuvered perfectly this afternoon, especially with Mcnulty’s excellent work in the final, but it’s not enough. Tadej Pogacar recovers only 4 seconds in the bonus game with the yellow jersey of Jonas Vingegaard.
Behind him, in a completely different world, Geraint Thomas (Ineos) proved to be the big favorite for the third step of the podium. He finished fourth in this 17th stage, consolidating his leadership over his opponents in the overall. Lutsenko (Astana) finished 5th and signed his return to the race for the top 5, as did Frenchman Romain (DSM) Bardet who finished 6th on the stage.
David Gaudu (FDJ) will have shown his limits today. He finished 7th in the stage but more than 3.27 minutes from the winner of the day. He continues four seconds behind Nairo Quintana (Arkéa) in the general. The little Colombian has also cracked today.
The number of the day
4. These are the small seconds that Tadej Pogacar has occupied today with the yellow jersey Jonas Vingegaard. And to the game bonuses and more! The dolphin on this Tour de France will never have managed to let go of his best enemy on the pedal. Admission of weakness … While anything can still happen, the trend is now known.
The tweet of the day
Tadej Pogacar fully cooked after reaching the top of Peyragudes. The Slovenian will have tried everything today, but Vingegaard has been too strong. The white jersey still manages to pocket the stage victory, its ninth victory at the Grande Boucle.
statement of the day
David Gaudu, 7th in the stage, still 5th in the general, just 4 seconds behind Nairo Quintana: “Thanks to Valentin (Madouas)! I didn’t do much today … It was my teammates who dragged me today … It was the head that didn’t let me go this afternoon, my legs very badly done.I was constantly alert, I wasn’t okay.I went to the breaker.It’s my boss who directs and tells me, “you have no right to let go, you have no right to let go.” it works. “
The classification of the stage
1. Tadej Pogacar (SLO / UAE) 129.7 km in 3 h 25:51 (average: 38.0 km / h)
2. Jonas Vingegaard (DEN / JUM) at 0 seconds.
3. Brandon McNulty (USA / UAE) 32.
4. Geraint Thomas (GBR / INE) 2:07.
5. Alexey Lutsenko (KAZ / AST) 2:34.
6. Romain Bardet (FRA / DSM) 2:38.
7. David Gaudu (FRA / GFJ) 3:27.
8. Alexander Vlasov (RUS / BOR) 3:32.
9. Louis Meintjes (RSA / INT) 3:32.
10. Nairo Quintana (COL / ARK) 3:32.
The general classification
1. Jonas Vingegaard (DEN / Jumbo) 67:53:54.
2. Tadej Pogacar (SLO / UAE) at 2:18.
3. Geraint Thomas (GBR / INE) 4:56.
4. Nairo Quintana (COL / ARK) 7:53.
5. David Gaudu (FRA / GFJ) 7:57.
6. Romain Bardet (FRA / DSM) 9:21.
7. Louis Meintjes (RSA / INT) 9:24.
8. Alexander Vlasov (RUS / BOR) 9:56.
9. Adam Yates (GBR / INE) 14:33.
10. Enric Mas (ESP / MOV) 16:35.
More information to follow …
The mythical ascents of the Tour de France